VIB is an entrepreneurial research institute that seeks to transfer the results of its scientific investigations to society. To this end, the members of VIB’s technology transfer team draft, file and prosecute patents, establish research collaborations with industrial partners, outlicense intellectual property and create spin-off companies. These activities result in an average 10-15 million euro’s per year in industrial income, 15 spin-off companies with a total of 683 employees in 2016. Together with its spin-offs, VIB has 8 crop-,13 therapeutic- and 22 diagnostic programs in development or on the market.
In the annual Technology Transfer course, the TT team, supported by two external speakers from industry, will go into detail on the practicalities of making technology transfer happen. We will discuss the basics of Intellectual Property Rights, including a hands-on patent search on your favourite topic. We will go through the term sheets and contracts that shape the framework of industrial collaborations and investments. We will have a lively case study to highlight the potentially complex relationships between scientist, TT-officer and company representative, and give an overview of the various stages of starting a new venture.
In short, the technology transfer course is designed to give you an idea of:
- How to find out if patents exist around your new findings;
- What steps are necessary to commercialize your work;
- The VIB-approach to starting innovative companies, and
- How research can be turned into value for society.
The course is open to external participants, but please note that all examples and case studies will focus on Life Science topics.
We hope you will join us this August!
- Participation is free for VIB participants.
- Participation is free for participants from EU-LIFE partner institutes.
- Registration fee for academics from Flemish universities is 160 EUR.
- Registration fee for industry is 500 EUR.