The VIB-UGent Center for Plant Systems Biology (PSB) in Ghent, Belgium, is a world-leading institute in plant sciences. PSB has invested significantly in the development and operation of automated, high-throughput plant phenotyping systems to support plant research within the institute and in collaboration with external partners (plant_phenotyping). PSB is also increasingly engaging in field phenotyping for translational research. At the same time, across Europe, important efforts are continuously devoted to the improvement of plant phenotyping methods, tools and infrastructure, and to enable access to established facilities for academic, public and private sector users (EPPN). Recently, Belgium has made the commitment to provide support for the establishment of a pan-European research infrastructure for plant phenotyping (EMPHASIS). In the frame of the EU-project (EMPHASIS-PREP) that will address the preparatory phase for the establishment of EMPHASIS, and in which VIB is a core group partner, we are looking for a highly motivated, committed and skilled project manager. The tasks of the project manager are very diverse as EMPHASIS‐PREP addresses all aspects relevant to the synergistic operation of the distributed phenotyping infrastructure, including the development of a long-term operational strategy. This will require close interaction between all phenotyping infrastructures and all relevant stakeholders across Europe. It is important to realize that the project manager will not directly participate in research that will lead to publications in peer-reviewed scientific journals.
- mapping and gap analysis within the European plant phenotyping landscape
- development of an integrated strategy/perspective on EMPHASIS
- close interaction with the different stakeholders, including scientists involved in phenotyping, and academic and industrial users of plant phenotyping facilities
- close interaction with funding agencies and government representatives
- reporting on the project's progress and deliverables
- promotion of the project on its website and on social media